Get a Free Copy of Your Tax Return Information

There are many reasons you may need a copy of your tax return information, such as applying for a student loan, a home mortgage or a credit card. If you do not have a copy, you can get af1040_Page_1-resize-232x300.jpg free transcript from the IRS online or by mail.

Transcripts are available for the most current tax year after the IRS has processed the return. You can also get them for the past three tax years.

  • Order online - Use the Get Transcript Online tool available on IRS.gov. You can use this tool to confirm your identity and immediately view and print copies of your transcript in a single session. The tool is available for five types of tax records: tax account transcript, tax return transcript, record of account, wage and income and verification of non-filing.

Before you order your transcript, figure out which you need: a tax return transcript or a tax account transcript:

  • A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return just as you filed it. It also includes forms and schedules you filed. But it doesn't reflect changes made to the return after you filed. In most cases, your tax return transcript will have all the information a lender or other agency needs.
  • A tax account transcript shows any adjustments made by you or the IRS after you filed your return. It shows basic data, such as marital status, type of return, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

When you access Get Transcript by Mail the IRS suggests the type of transcript you need based on the reason you provide. For Get Transcript by Mail, you must decide which available transcript type best meets your needs.

Actual copies of your tax returns are also generally available for the current tax year and as far back as six years. The fee per copy is $50. Complete Form 4506 and mail it to the IRS office listed on the form for your area to request a copy of your tax return. Delivery times for online orders typically take five to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request. You should allow 30 days to receive a transcript ordered by mail and 75 days for copies of your tax return.

For more information about IRS transcripts, see Transcript FAQs.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Our Offices

Central Texas Office
100 W Central Texas Expy Suite 106
Harker Heights, TX 76548

Phone: 254-699-9999
Fax: 254-699-9996
Harker Heights Law Office Map

Galveston Office
719 59th St
Galveston, TX 77551

Phone: 409-515-6176
Fax: 409-763-1508
Galveston Law Office Map