Essential Planning Documents For Children As They Head to College

Until a child reaches the age of 18, a parent can access their children's medical records and to make decisions regarding medical care and treatment. Likewise, the financial affairs of children under 18 are in reality the financial affairs of the parent. When a child turns 18, they are an adult and legally entitled to their own privacy and legal right to make their own decisions regarding their finances, educational and medical information. In order to plan for the unexpected regarding your children when they become adults, it is important to consider planning documents to assist your children.  At least three important documents should be considered for your children when they turn 18:

  1. Health Care Proxy with HIPAA Release
  2. Durable Power of Attorney
  3. Will

If you need assistance with any of these documents for your children when they become adults, contact the Criss & Rousseau Law Firm at 254-699-9999 or 409-515-6176, or [email protected].

For more information on each of the three documents, see Take These Three Steps When Your Child Turns 18, ElderLawAnswers.  Also see, Bryan KirkFive Essentials for College Freshmen, Trust and Estate Planning, June 19, 2017.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Our Offices

Central Texas Office
100 W Central Texas Expy Suite 106
Harker Heights, TX 76548

Phone: 254-699-9999
Fax: 254-699-9996
Harker Heights Law Office Map

Galveston Office
719 59th St
Galveston, TX 77551

Phone: 409-515-6176
Fax: 409-763-1508
Galveston Law Office Map